Sinigang na Hipon
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
This is a sour, tamarind soup that is traditionally served with rice. The protein and mix of vegetables can be changed to your own preferences.
- shrimp (or other protein)
- vegetables of your choice (e.g., broccoli, green beans, bok choy)
- tamarind soup mix
- First, prep your ingredients by chopping up the onion, tomato, and other vegetables. Optional: peel and devein the raw shrimp. Once you're done prepping the ingredients, place them on the side.
- Place your protein in a large pot and fill it with water until the protein has been covered with water. Place the pot on the stove and leave to boil on high heat. Depending on the protein, you may see "debris" rise to the surface of the pot's water as it's boiling. Use a ladel to scoop out the "debris" until the water is relatively clear.
- Add the chopped onion and tomato into the pot. Cover the pot and let the dish boil until the tomato slices appear to be disintegrated. This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Add the chopped other vegetables into the pot and mix in your tamarind soup mix. One packet should suffice but if you're like my family and like it extra sour, you can add a second packet.
- Let the dish simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes, then serve over or with a side of white rice and enjoy!
You can also follow the steps from this video showing how to cook this dish.